So with my new and enlightened view of todays kids, I had to ask, why do our children perform so poorly on standardized tests? Does the fault lie with our teachers? With our school administrators? With our political leaders? Can we, as concerned parents, sue somebody about this and obtain millions of dollars?
Or maybe it's time that we parents stopped ''passing the buck'' on education. Maybe instead of ''pointing the finger'' at everybody else, we should take a hard look at ourselves in the mirror, and place the blame for our children's lousy test scores where it clearly belongs, on our children. They apperantly have a terrible attitude. While surfing the internet today, I found this letter written from an 8th grade teacher in Texas:
"I teach math to eighth-grade students. This is an unnecessary task because they are all going to be professional basketball players, professional NASCAR racecar drivers, professional bass fisher people or marine biologists who will never need to actually use math.''
This is a sad commentary on the unrealistic expectations of today's students in America. The real statistical truth is that, in any given group of 10 young people, only a third of them, or 22 % (I used a calculator here), will actually succeed as professional bass fishers. The rest will wind up in the ''real world,'' where, like it or not, they will need a practical knowledge of math.
So Jared, here's to ya. You are my shining ray of hope in this world of urealistic dreamers and kids that want jobs that the rest of us can only drewl over. Your the man.
Oh, did I mention what Jared said, when I last asked him what he wanted to be when he grows up: A Professional Football Player.
No comments:
Post a Comment